Saturday, September 6, 2014

Linda and I Eat Tamales and Talk About Why I'm Retiring

I promised excerpts, so here are a few paragraphs from the Preface:

    “Fifty-four seems too young,” Linda said.

    She and I were sitting in her living room a few days after Christmas of the year 2000, eating tamales from plates we held on our laps. I’d known Linda longer than anyone who was not part of my family, and we hadn’t had a chance yet to talk about the job—the career—I was leaving in just a few months. I had no idea how to respond.

    In the years I’d worked in schools and Linda had worked as an urban planner, I’d heard her mention that educators worked less than a full year, had all those long vacations, and spent only six hours a day working. She didn’t see how jobs in schools could be very hard.

    On that winter day, I didn’t tell her that two principals I knew had simply cleaned out their desks and walked away on days that were not even Fridays, let alone ends of semesters. I didn’t tell her that after fifteen years, my job had come to feel like a game of pinball, one where I was the ball. I’d sat silently for almost a minute when Linda asked, “Do you think it’s futile?

    Surprised at her use of this word, I put my fork down on my plate and said, “No! It’s not futile. But I can’t do it anymore.”

    Growing up in the second half of the Twentieth Century, I had regarded capital-P Progress as a sure thing. My post-war generation would, I assumed, pitch in to keep things moving. By 1967, I had decided to do my part by teaching school. I’d make sure kids could read, write, and compute, and I’d also inoculate them with peace and justice. I didn’t plan on, or even imagine, being a principal.

    Thirty years after I chose to teach, the era that raised me had run into trouble. While racial and gender equality increased in that time, peace did not last. Prosperity became a more elusive goal, less a value of community than a contest to be won by individuals. I did not foresee that in the last years of the Twentieth Century, public education would no longer be everyone’s favorite democratic institution. 

No comments:

Post a Comment